October 10, 2013

Halloween Carnival - Hot Air Balloon and Pumpkin Pets

Today is a continuing look at the elements I have made for my version of Laura Carson's (artfullymusing.blogspot.com) Halloween Carnival.  For more details, tutorials and videos, and to make your own version of Laura's fantastic project, please go to her page dedicated to the carnival.

First off is the Hot Air Balloon.  Laura actually posted this tutorial along with a video before the carnival series began.  She included not only the balloon, but also a dirigible.  You can see the tutorial and the video on this page on her blog.

This was a super fun project to make.  Laura has great tips on how to put the balloon together very easily.  I used Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells paper from both the 8x8 and 6x6 paper pads.  I really love this paper collection.

Just about all of the collage elements are from one or more of Laura's collage sheets.  The exception is the bats.  I just couldn't face cutting out 20 bats!  Luckily a friend had a die and cut out oodles of bats for me to use both on this element and other elements in the project.




The hands in the cauldrons are some plastic hands I got from Alpha Stamps.  I used green and purple alcohol inks and some black Staz-On reinker to give them some color.

There are supposed to be some wings on the cauldrons, too.  Every time I look at the balloon I think - oh yeah, the wings and then I promptly forget all about them.

I used some Gilder's Paste on the cauldrons - you can see a little bit of it in the photo.  Don't the cobwebs look like steam coming off the boiling cauldron - I love that effect.




And now for Pumpkin Pets - Guaranteed to Bite.  A nice respite after a more complex project.  For the umbrella, I followed the directions in Laura's tutorial and video about umbrellas (I also did that for the umbrellas on the Ticket Booth which I forgot to mention).  You can see that video about halfway down on this page, as well as templates for many types of umbrellas.

More Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells paper and of course images from Laura's collage sheets.

Another one of the cute Halloween figurines.  This one is Little Alien.  Don't you love the eyeballs on the end of the antennae?  And check out the toes!!



Here's a close-up of the pumpkin pets.  The moss was kind of messy.  I brushed off all the loose dirt that I could and then used big squirts of white glue and it seems to be under control now.

And to see how these elements look with all the other pieces I made for the Halloween Carnival, check out the Halloween Carnival project page.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that you included the close ups and the whole shots. It really shows us the wonder of the whole thing - particularly the cauldrons and their great coloring and the grass by the pets. The little guy with his eyeballs, but especially his little pumpkin trick-or-treat -orange plastic. it takes me back a gaziilion years. Thanks for sharing.